12 January 2009

Mi Casa en Espana

So far, I have not seen any houses in Sevilla. It is a large city-I think 750000 ppl-and has no room for houses. I think that only one host family in the TTU program lives in an actual house. We live on the 5th floor (actually 6th) of an apartment building and the way that it is set up is that there is only one stair case for the seven or so apartments that are stacked on top of each other. There are neighbors next to us, but they have to enter a different door and stairs. Also, we are at the end of the building, so my room is not against a neighbor’s wall but air.

The floors are all marble-ish tile and there are no throw rugs anywhere, it is always cold. To keep warm, families in Sevilla gather around a table in the living area that has a heater under it. There is a thick cloth that covers the table, and you pull it up over your knees when you sit down at the couch. The cold really brings the families together here! In the afternoons when I take a siesta, I can open my shades and the sun shines perfectly on my bed so I warm up. Me gusta siesta! Sleeping at night is fine; my covers keep me plenty warm.

The view from my window isn’t too pretty because I mostly see a lot of antennas from the apartments next to me. But in the background I can see the Catedral tower.

Living in a city is making me miss clean air and stars. And Sevillans let their dogs crap on the sidewalk. So you have to watch your step, even when you want to look up at the architecture. Our neighborhood is nice, I don’t believe that it is upscale or poor, and it is definitely not touristy. There is a cute looking café that is on the corner that I want to check out. And it is only about a 10 minute walk to school. Not bad.

Hasta luego! -corey
















No comments:

Post a Comment