16 January 2009

La Comida









La comida = food
Lola= cocinera muy bueno

The food that Lola cooks is pretty much always good. There have been two things so far that I didn’t enjoy, one was pasta that had tuna and squid in it. The squid was fine, but I’m not a fan of tuna, and it overpowered the entire dish. The other thing was a fish filet that was really soft, and whatever it had been cooked in made it yellow. Hmmm.

8:30 am: For breakfast, there is fruta (fruit), café (coffee), and either tostada (toast) or cereal. It is the lightest meal of the day.

2:30 pm: Lunch is the biggest meal, and we are always served three courses. The first course is usually some type of soup, stew, or gumbo. After that, we eat a meat dish. I am surprised, but TTU actually took my no-red-meat-diet into consideration. My roommate Jennifer is Muslim and so cannot eat pork. They housed us together on purpose, and Lola sabe que no conemos la carne roja (Lola knows we don’t eat carne). I am 100% sure that she cooks with pig fat though, because in the kitchen is a huge smoked pig leg that is slowly growing smaller and smaller as she cuts on it. I will take a picture eventually of one of the shops that sells them. And everything is always covered in olive oil. Everything.

Lola has fried calamari a couple times, and it is tha bomb. Hah

And postre (dessert) is fruta, usually we choose from either un plátano (banana), una pera (pear), o una naranja (orange). Lately, Mariano has been giving us sweets left over from Christmas after lunch. I really like him.

9:00 pm: Supper is smaller than dinner, and with the meat is usually fried potatoes. Dad, you would like Lola’s papas fritas. Es muy bueno. Last night she attempted tacos because we were saying how much we loved comida Mexicano. They were pretty good; I’m wondering if she has made them before for other kids that she’s hosted.

Okay, well that’s enough on food. Probably more than you cared to know.

Adios amigos,
Corey

4 comments:

  1. How far are you from the coast? Is all the seafood fresh? I saw a picture of the pork legs like the one in Lola's kitchen. I suppose they are smoked and not raw.
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. bet they are good with elk meat love dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we're an hour and a half away. And yeah, those pork legs aren't raw. That would be disgusting seeing as it's been there for over a week. The shrimp and fish are all fresh from the supermarket, but the squid tentacles that have shown up in our food I couldn't say. The fried calamari was fresh also though.


    and you dont have to keep putting anonymous, you can use the Name/URL choice...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried, and it would not let me post a comment using "name/URL" and told me my request was not processes, please try again.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete