22 January 2009

If There are White Stripes, Walk.





Did I not mention that my host family doesn't speak English? If you didn't know that, well now ya do. And Mariano (he's the old guy in a picture that's in a previous post)knows that I like candy, and he will give us some after lunch sometimes. And he LOVES Sevilla futbol. Lola likes to needlepoint, and she is currently working on a shawl that she I guess is going to wear during the Fair(a week long celebration in April). It is really beautiful and intricate.


I absolutely love walking around the streets here, and seeing as it's my main form of transportation, I guess that's a good thing. Being a pedestrian is sweet because there are green walking signals at all the crosswalks at the main intersections, and as soon as you are told to walk, the signals emit this bird chirping noise...but at the streets where there is no signal but white pedestrian marks on the road, peds get the right of way and all cars have to wait for you. Not like in America where you run the risk of being flattened when you walk across a street.


There are also loads and loads of orange trees throughout the city lining the streets. Right now, they are all full of naranjas, but none are edible! What a waste, but I'm told that they are good for jams/marmalade (Paddington Bear anyone?). Orange, lemon, and palm trees are the only ones that grow here naturally I think. Every other species has been brought in and is not native.


And one more random topic on life here, everybody double parks. There will often be double parallel parking. And you know what? It's OK because if you are on the outside, and are blocking people, you just leave your car in neutral and the blocked person can push it out of the way. I've actually seen this happen a couple times now. It's normal.


Love to all,
corey

No comments:

Post a Comment