18 February 2009

Cristobal Colon (minus the accents over the letters)























Hey kids!


I don't know how to add accents to certain letters in my blog posts, so that is why a lot of the Spanish words that I type are actually incorrect. I am lazy or I would do it right :)


Last weekend our group went to La Rabida(accent over the 1st a). This is the monastery where Christopher Colombus confered with a monk about his ideas on sailing off. The monk was Queen Isabel's former confessor? and so retained much influence in Isabel's life and Colombus used the monk to get his ideas to the Queen(can we say "lobbying" anyone?). So now we have America and a "New World".

Our group also played around on life size replicas of the three ships that made the voyage. They are very very small and I definitely would not have wanted to sail on them for more than a day. I think they have similar ships in Corpus Christi...

And we went to the beach (la playa) for a couple hours and waded in the Atlantic.
It was a really nice trip overall, despite me having a cold.

Buenos Dias,
corey




All Aboard!








<----- This table was here when Colombus was in the monastery. I wonder if he sat at it?
















Modern art of Colombus. Beautiful. The other painting was in a series-all pertaining to him. All had raised portions incorporated into the picture. Like this one of Christ, the circular part is raised a little. They were really amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment